Saturday, March 22, 2008

k-12 Conference: Cell Phones as Learning Tools

I attended the conference on "Cell Phones as Learning Tools." Liz Kolb talks about some neat ways to integrate cell phones with classroom assignments. There are resources to do this for children as young as the preschool age. I learned about some resources, such as homeworknow.com, which allows teachers to post class updates and allows students to view updates on computers. Students can set up particular ring tones which can alert them of a new assignment. Kolb discusses ways in which camcorders and cameras can be used for school projects. The example she gives is if a student is doing a science project on rocks. The student can take various pictures of rocks and upload the photos onto the website using the cell phone. If using cell phones will help my students do their work then I'm all for it. I thought about incorporating cell phone use in my final project. I guess we'll see.

No comments: